Thursday, May 20, 2010

Little joys to share...

I had never thought that one of my greatest joys would be when a kid in my class who as per record is in the 3rd standard but actually is at the level of standard 1st; would get his first correct carry over addition problem after being explained over and over again! I had never thought that one of my greatest joys would be when two of my kids from class would come up to me on their own and ask me for homework out of curiosity to learn more! I had never thought that one of my greatest joys would be when three of the kids in class would raise their hands and call me at their desk just to say "didi you are so so nice!" And there are more of these little little instances that I don't remember now...I now know the joy of being in the moment and giving your 100%...and when you give your 100% to something you never feel bad for falling flat on your face...you just get up and try harder!
I don't think I have worked harder in my life. And if you think teaching is easy, I dare you to handle my class successfully for a day without pulling your hair out! You'll see kids popping out of their seats, walking around as if the classroom was a playground, you'll see kids poking and hitting each other, some want to constantly go to the loo, someone pretends he has a stomach ache so that he gets to go home, someone wants personal attention, someone just wouldn't speak up as if I were talking to the wall, someone knows not a word of English in spite of being in 3rd standard in an English medium school, someone loves to sit under the desk, someone loves to constantly tap pencil on the desk, someone has family troubles etc. etc....well there are some smart kids around too. Averagely, the attention span of these kids is 8 minutes. I constantly need to do something to grab their attention; and I am working towards it everyday. And I need to be loving and stern at the same time. It may not sound very appealing to many. Teaching, I believe is not a respected job. Its strange how everyone wants to be educated but the moment you tell them you teach primary kids they have an expression on their face which says "couldn't you have done something better in life?" But after a certain point of time you feel let the world think what it thinks. Seeing the way these kids are struggling, I feel if they are not guided the right way in their moulding age they will soon lose interest in studies and drop out of school. For those of you who do not know, 15% of kids in India never get to go to school, 50% of them drop out by 4th standard and 90% of them do not make it to standard 10! These numbers are shocking...I know it will take years of effort to flip them around. But for now I am so happy that I am a part of the solution bit of it even if it impacts only a few in the society. What is the use of education being the fundamental right of every Indian child when he does not have access to quality education just because he is poor! Till when are we going to wait for the world to be a better place on its own? I may be a drop in the ocean but like Helen Keller rightly said:
"I am only one but still I am one. I can't do everything but still I can do something; and because I can't do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do." :)

6 comments:

  1. Awesome writing.....keep writing, one day it will make an interesting book:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write...It draws up a picture of the way you would be with the kids in class and has me laughing remembering all of your own stunts at college :D I'm starting to follow your blog... what do you know??? I may even start liking kids ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awsome write up dearie.!!!! now dats one amazin feelin i mus say when u actually c sumbody u taught to carry over actually does it jus perfectly !!! Shocking stats tho.!!! m sure ul flip it around though with time ...!
    CheerS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome... Quite motivating....

    All the best and keep us posted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruhi,

    I am really happy that you are doing something in which you are experiancing the greatest joy of your life.

    It really feel good when somebody say any of us "you are so so nice!" , I can imagine how you might have felt.

    People do not remmeber what we do,what we speak, but they do remember what special we have made them feel. All the kids in the class must be feeling very good, as they got so lovable teacher like you... Keep loving and teaching them.

    Enjoy... do keep writing , you write very good.

    Thanks,
    Ravindra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl .. good going eh!..Yes I can totally relate to how you feel and what it takes to handle a class. I am a Trainer with IBM. I dont have to deal with kids but Adults who behave like kids when they are in a classroom training.
    How you need to constantly keep an eye on every individual to ensure they pay attention to what you have to say or train them on.. how every person has his/her own needs... they are there for several different reasons... people come from different backgrounds.. how you need to constantly remind them about being mature adults and to behave like one... its a little different then handling kids.. but at the end of the day .. they look up to me as a teacher.. they are my students .. its a fun job ... Every new Batch comes in with new CHAllenges ..
    Yes its a lovely feeling when they tell me 'Mam you are so good at what you are doing' , you are so nice to us, you help us understand things, you have helped us turn into professionals, etc ..I would want to continue with my hard work and dedication towards training young Indians and transforming them into professionals so they face the challenges of Corporate world and grow/excel in whatever they do..I in my training , am also trying to spread the message of 'Respect for every individual' which we tend to forget and easily look down upon others .We become biased when it comes to treating everyone equally. Why is it so difficult for us to do that ? ..
    There are so many good things that we can learn from different cultures in the world .. we learn different viewpoints..

    Keep writing Ruhi ...I loved this ..
    I would love to read what you have to say as well as add my comments to it ,if have any.

    Regards,
    Rajni Dhaka

    ReplyDelete