Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cuteness in the classroom...

Been a while again...But when I was thinking this Sunday afternoon what should I share with you guys, my immediate thought was - "cuteness in the classroom". Yes, be it that my time in the classroom is filled with tremendous pressure, there is occasional cuteness that I get to see around which puts a smile and eases out my work load. Here are a few instances of the same...

Cuteness #1: The other day, I was teaching adjectives to the kids. I was writing sentences on the board and they were picking out adjectives and listing them in their notebooks. I wrote a sentence "Jainab is fair but Ruhi didi is dark." When I turned around, I saw Sonal raising her hand. She kept raising her hand in spite of being told to list the adjectives in her notebook. I asked her what she wanted, to which she replied "Didi aap mere liye fair hi ho (Didi you are fair for me)". I could not believe what Sonal said...It was not to flatter me. But this girl knew it did not matter how I looked from outside. I would be lying if I said I am not conscious about my skin color. That day was as if God spoke to me through Sonal's voice :)

Cuteness #2: In yet another grammar lessons when I wrote "The girls were sitting quietly yesterday"; Deepak cutely responded "that means there are not sitting quietly today". I not only smiled at his reaction but was proud that he was able to comprehend and add his own thoughts to something as simple as that!

Cuteness #3: We have JAM (just a minute) sessions at the end of the day. The kids are given a topic and they have to speak as many sentences as they can as a team. One of the teams got a topic "rabbit" to which Bhagyashree added "Rabbit is didi's favorite animal". I was only engrossed in counting the number of sentences at that moment. But when school ended Bhagyashree told me "Didi you remember? You told me that you like rabbit long time back." I smiled and at the same time was overwhelmed to hear she remembered something I completely forgot.

Cuteness #4: Vidhan is a pre-kg level kid. He is slightly above average at Math but extremely poor at reading. Due to this reason he keeps fidgeting when something that is not at his level of understanding is going on in class. Especially reading 3rd standard text books. One day I got furious at his attitude. I told him even if words are difficult for him he should not give up like this. Next day Vidhan's mother comes to me after school and tells me Vidhan said there is a lot he has to cope up with to reach 3rd standard level.

Cuteness #5: I was teaching kids about states of substances and the exact sentence I said was "we take in oxygen and give out carbon dioxide while plants take in carbon dioxide and give out oxygen". Before I could move on, Shreyesh said "this is exchange of goods like we studied in History". I was so motivated that somewhere the kids were understanding and linking stuff together and my efforts were not going in vein.

Out of all these instances it revealed to me yet another time that kids minds are like clean canvases. Pour the right colors on them and they will make a beautiful picture for themselves. There is no limit to their cuteness :)

1 comment:

  1. hmmm... I'm not really fond of kids so I don't say I find all of it cute... but enjoyed some of the intelligence... (specially the part when the kid says -'means they r not silent today')...they do have all the smartness afterall and you are doing a very good job of making them exercise it :) Go girl!

    ReplyDelete