Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Reached one fourth of the journey...

I can't believe I have actually travelled one fourth of my journey with Teach for India...It has been a total roller coaster ride...when I look back I see colours of joy, pride, humility, sorry, strength and hope to name a few...My beginning of year tracker was filled with mostly zeros all over...and somewhere in between I was pretty upset over my kids not showing progress...but, I had the most amazing feeling when I saw many of those zeros change to a 100% mastery at mid of year! My kids have done exceptionally well at math...their grammar and comprehension has improved to quite an extent...we sure have a long way to go but celebrating their first success during Diwali time:)
Over the Diwali break my kids were always there at the back of my mind...it seems like yesterday that I stepped into the classroom with faces questioning me 'where is our old teacher?' and today after the first semester kids actually saying 'we are happy when you are around, sad when you are absent and angry when the other teacher comes in your place!'....yes maybe I have done some good to these children...but at the same time I feel there is nothing great in what I am doing. And this feeling probably comes because I see and know there is so much one can do and I do not know if what I am doing is really making a difference. A close friend tells me it is not a job where you can expect immediate results...I feel like I am becoming a Yogi at times...I say I am doing my best and I do not care about the rest...I do not think I would have got to see the numerous colors of life had I been sitting in a cubicle in the corporate world...I would truly recommend every person to do something like this to know the real you in you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment